Follow by Email

Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Homemade Christmas

Christmas was wonderfully homemade. I went Christmas shopping in the summer and picked fruits from my own tree or from the local fruit picking farm and made jams and chutneys, cordials and sauces and wrapped them all up and gave them to people for Christmas. I made some lovely patchwork cushions.

I also made two lots of bunting one with little cut out Christmas trees using some scraps of fabric and of course decorated the house with lots of knitted toys that come in and out of the box every Christmas.

I definately recommend making your own things for Christmas. It makes your home so much more warm and cosy. Even though I don't feel I'm living in my own house at the moment, with all my familiar things that I've made, my daughters and I felt a comfort from having our own personal homemade things around. And of course, picking fruits and bringing them home, cooking, bottling whilst wearing a summer dress is far better than sitting in Christmas traffic jams and packed department stores.



This is one of my favourite pictures of Christmas. There were 9 of us and we all had Christmas in the barn which I decorated with lots of fairy lights, knitted and fabric buntings and we all ate on our lovely big hand painted table. We had a great Christmas day, I played the violin (badly - We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Jingle Bells), but luckily everyone joined in and covered the terrible sound by singing loudly; Matt did a much better job with playing the guitar which gave us all the opportunity to have a good dance and singalong. Hopefully next year my recital will be far less the object of teenage jokes.

1 comment:

Angel Jem said...

I love the christmas tree bunting. I saw something like on Kirsties Homemade Christmas and it's on my to do list for 2010. (yes, I plan ahead.)