Follow by Email

Sunday, 19 July 2009

Redcurrant Jelly

I have never been able to make a good redcurrant jelly. It's always been cloudy and never went through the muslin process very well. But today I've made the best batch I've ever done by using a different method.

Boil up the fruit in water until the fruit is pulpy.
Sieve it through a metal sieve, squashing the juice from the pulp.
Drain the remaining liquid through a jelly bag overnight, discarding the pulp.
Return juice to the pan with 1lb of sugar per 1lb of liquid.
Dissolve sugar in juice very gently and when all sugar is completely dissolved,
boil until it sets (using the wrinkle method/sugar thermometer)
Pour into warm, sterilised jars, seal, cover, decorate and label.

Perfect, beautiful clear nectar, a glorious colour and I made about 6 jars from about 3.5 kilos of fruit. I've always only got one or two jars in the past. I'm so proud of it!

I give my homemade jam and jellies as Christmas gifts. Each time I go to the hassle of making jam or jelly I just think of it as Christmas shopping. Rather than go through all the horrible crowds in the cold and wet at Christmas for presents, I just think of summer days picking fruit and making jam.

No comments: