Follow by Email

Sunday, 26 July 2009

Fox

I was woken very early this morning by a strange noise. At first I thought it was a dog barking in the distance - unusual because other than my dogs, there are only the farm dogs and it didn't sound like them. Then I heard a chicken noise. So I got up to see what was happening.

As I got to the chicken pen, the mother hen was out in her run, which was thankfully closed. She was in a real panic and running round the pen. Then I just caught the colour and tail of the fox disappearing behind the bushes. I couldn't see it very clearly and it just disappeared in a whisper. I checked and all three chicks were in their house - I had forgotten to put the hatch down last night, but luckily had secured them into their pen.

I'm so lucky so far not to have had any chickens taken by a fox, but after seeing that, I'm now worried. The hens are out all day and I put them to bed each night, but you can't guarantee the fox won't come during the day.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Hi Nicki,

What a fabulous shot! Thank goodness he didn't get a little snack! Love the wedding pictures. Did you finish the blanket for them? Am still considering buying a sewing machine...

Love,
Lynne xx

Nicki Trench said...

No, didn't finish the blanket, I've got about another 10 squares to go and then the crocheting up to do! I also want to embroider a little something to sew into the blanket with their names and the date of the wedding. We had such a good day at the wedding, it was lovely and huge fun.

Bernina sewing machine.